COVID-19 is a highly infectious ailment that is caused by the deadly Corona Virus, which attacks the lungs and the respiratory tracts. The first case of COVID-19 in humans showed up in Wuhan, China, in December 2019 and it rapidly started spreading to different parts of world. In March 2020, this disease was recognized as a pandemic by the World Health Organization. Till now numerous cases of COVID-19 have been accounted in more than 150 nations, leading to more than 8000 deaths worldwide. Worst affected nations include China, the U.S.A., Europe, Italy, Iran and South Korea.
- This is a highly infectious disease that spreads from person-to-person.
- It can also be spread through droplets that are released when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses, and be breathed into the lungs of individuals in close contact with anyone suffering from Corona Virus.
- It is also possible to get COVID-19 by contacting a surface or article that has the infection on it, After touching the infected surface if a person touches his/her mouth, nose, or eyes, then he/she becomes highly susceptible to suffer from this infection.
Once a person gets Corona Virus, symptoms may take as little as 2 to as long as 14 days to manifest. The thing which makes this disease more difficult to get identified is the fact that most of the symptoms while having this infection are very similar to the ones experienced when suffering from seasonal flu, which are:
- Shortness of breath
- Pain in the chest
Treatment & Prevention Measures
Unfortunately, there is no known medicine or immunization to prevent COVID-19. Hence, the most ideal approach to forestall this disease is to avoid getting exposed to the lethal Corona Virus. Some of the effective measures you can take to prevent this disease are listed as follows:
Read more: How to get Victory Against COVID-19
1. Wash your hands frequently with a good quality cleanser and water for not less than 20 seconds, particularly after you have been in a public place.
2. If cleanser and water are not accessible, use a hand sanitizer with around 60% alcohol content.
3. Avoid touching your mouth, eyes and nose with unwashed hands.
4. Avoid close contact with individuals who are sick.
5. Wear a facemask if you feel unwell.
6. Isolate yourself if you are suffering from COVID-19 to prevent infection from spreading to other people.
7. Always keep your mouth and nose covered while coughing or sneezing.
8. Clean and sanitize frequently contacted surfaces like door handles, light switches, telephones, toilets, sinks and the like.
There is no need to panic! This infection can be easily stopped if we all do our bit to get it under control. Follow Government guidelines and get yourself immediately checked if you think you can be a victim of this infection. Plus, do not forget to keep your surroundings and yourself clean and germ-free.